Monday, October 24, 2011

My new favourite Godzilla Toy

filmation Ark 2
While many of you may have been aware of this vintage bendy from toymaker GLJ, I was blissfully unaware at how cool it was. I periodically search GLJ on Ebay in hope of finding a Monster Squad Frank Bop Bag (someday) and this little guy popped up instead. It was love at first sight, the figure is cool enough but the amount of care that went into that card is truly special.
filmation Ark 2

It's like the set of a cool stop motion Godzilla movie you really want to watch. There was no need for GLJ to put in this kind of detail but they did anyway. I am truly smitten with this thing.

11 comments:

Bob Ignizio said...

I had one of these. Played with it so much that several of the wires which allowed it to bend actually broke, rendering it somewhat less than fully poseable. Heck, I was just happy to have found a Godzilla toy of any kind (the only other U.S. one I know of from the time period was the Shogun Warrior version, which had its own issues).

Dancin' Homer said...

thousands of different positions?

Steven Fallon said...

As a lifelong Godzilla fanatic, I bought this immediately upon seeing it in a Kay-Bee toy store in 1978 and still have it! Unfortunately I didn't think enough to buy more than one and keep one in the awesome card, but it is a great toy definitely, one of my very favorites in the collection. Would love to have it carded :).

David at Sherry Lou Toys said...

That card, so freakin cool...
I'm speechless...
"should have sent a poet.."

Drive-In Mike said...

Owned this and loved it! I used to make Godzilla duke it out with the die-cast Shogun Warriors.

R.S. Sterling said...

Was there others in this set? I had a, what looked like Minya, that was similar but not bendy. I've been trying to track down info on it for years.

Muppet John said...

I got this as a stocking stuffer along with a rather skinny King Kong. I may have sent you a picture with the X-mas ones I had sent you.

kebyar said...

@Drive-In Mike Me too! he was the perfect size to stage epic battles with the Shogun line!

Anonymous said...

The best godzilla toy ever made!

Nells said...

I have one of these!! I somehow acquired it used... the metal wire in the tail was sticking out... I have it in a closet with all my 1980s toys... or at least it BETTER still be there!! Mothers and trash cans can be an evil mix...

Anonymous said...

Huh... I have this, but never knew it came on such a spiffy card! Cool.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin