Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Dr. Steel Trading Card


Card #19 is Big Jim's "greatest challenge" Dr. Steel. I still remember seeing the commercial for the first time as a kid, I was in my parents room watching Gene Roddenberry's "Planet Earth" on the black and white one Saturday afternoon when it aired. Big Jim had an enemy? He has a silver hand and dragon tatoo? I need this!


I pretty much ran to my mother that instant and proclaimed my love for Dr Steel. Upon actually seeing him on a store shelf however, my mother denied me the good Doctor because he was bald and had a tattoo. A few months later, I was allowed a "Torpedo fist", a man with an eye patch, a wooden arm and a tattoo on his hand. Even at five, I wanted to point out my mother's hypocrisy but figured she'd return it to the store if I said anything and Torpedo Fist was really cool so I just treated it as if I had somehow fooled her.


big jim pack comic mexican cipsa big jim

And if you're a fan of Big Jim, be sure to check out this great site:

 big jim

The forum is a great group of friendly collectors from across the world including yours truly, so check out BigJim.es

3 comments:

JFStan said...

To think someone would shave their head and get a tattoo just because they had a toy with those traits as a kid is absolutely ridiculous! I swear by my steel prosthetic hand that my toys had no influence on my life choices.

Retro Hound said...

I had one of these. He was cool. Except my sister broke the metal hand off after only a few months.

Retro Hound said...

In fact, now that I think about it, he had a karate chop arm with a button to push on his back. Maybe that was another toy, but I'm pretty sure it was this guy.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin